- New Oriental Education & Technology Group IncEDUreported a fourth-quarter FY22 sales declineof 56.8% year-on-year, to $524 million.
- The decline was mainly due to the cessation of K-9 academic after-school tutoring services in compliance with the government policies in China.
- Non-GAAP operating costs and expenses decreased 53.6% Y/Y to $600.9 million.
- The operating loss for the quarter was $(105.6) million versus a loss of $(102.4) million last year.
- The company held $1.1 billion in cash and equivalents as of May 31, 2022. Cash provided by operating activities for the quarter totaled $29.3 million versus $318.4 million a year earlier.
- Non-GAAP loss per ADS was $(0.94) versus $(0.16) a year earlier.
- On July 26, 2022, the board of directors authorized the repurchase of up to $400 million of common shares through May 31, 2023.
- The company’s cash and equivalents totaled approximately $4.2 billion as of May 31, 2022.
- Outlook: Oriental sees Q1 sales of $641.3 million $680.6 million, representing a year-over-year decline of 51% – 48%.
- Stephen Zhihui Yang, New Oriental’s CFO, commented, “The Company’s management team will continue to make great efforts to resume overall profitability of the Company as early as possible and proactively seek profitable growth.”
- Price Action:EDU shares are trading higher by 6.42% at $25.59 on the last check Wednesday.
2022 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.